Saturday, March 2, 2013

The Old Stadium, 1929. Poland 7- USA 0 1975

My first view of a satellite photo of Poznan showed this large stadium with what looked like bushes in the stands. That was a few years ago, they're trees now! My walk today took me over the east wall of the decaying stadium, a little patience and I could have walked in from the other side. In 1975 60,000 people watched Poland play the US National team here which Poland won 7-0. Between 1941-1943 the stadium was the site of slave labor camps and an execution center for Jewish prisoners unable to work. I've seen a small monument near here, but didn't figure out what is was about until today. It's amazing so much evil dwelled in such a beautiful part of the world.

































- hastily posted and rarely proofread using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment